The holiday season is one of the busiest periods of the year, so it’s likely that you bailed on a few gym sessions in order to attend a festive fete or two. While there’s nothing wrong with taking a pause from your standard routine in an effort to give your body a chance to rest and repair (and make the most of the season), too much time off can make it difficult to retreat back to your go-to routine — but who says you have to? Along with your other New Year’s resolutions, we suggest shaking things up a bit. To help you get started, we tapped Rebecca Faria of Equinox Group Fitness for the top fitness trends to look out for in 2019. Remember: If you don’t use it, you lose it.
1. Wearable Technology: Different apps and companies becoming more compatible with each other for a more seamless user experience.
2. Group Training: Building a community is a key player in getting people to stick to their routines. Within this comes friendly competition. This could go as far as CrossFit competitions, or the leaderboard in fly wheel or orange theory.
3. Fitness Programs For Older Adults: The older demographic is feeling more comfortable in the gym with trainers and classes that are catering specifically to their needs.
4. Streaming Fitness Programs: Think peloton but for the treadmill or stairmaster. Instructors verbally coaching you through a workout.
5. Corporate Wellness: Corporations are starting to employ fitness trainers and instructors to offer services on campus. This allows their employees to get workouts in during the work day. Healthier and happier employees results in more productivity and less sick days.
6. Functional Fitness: Workouts that aren’t all about the numbers. This is training to improve our quality of life. Think balance, coordination, flexibility, and core stabilization. People are hiring more certified fitness trainers to cater specifically to their life needs.
7. Fusion Classes: Tread and weight classes combined, Pilates and hiit, or sculpt and yoga. More bang for your buck. Working on several disciplines in one workout.
8. Shorter Workout Classes: 30-45 min workout classes are the future. You can achieve great high intensity workouts in abbreviated class times.