Skin Collagen and Elastin
- Starting at age 21, collagen and elastin decline by 1.00% to 1.50% each year.
- Decline in estrogen causes loss of collagen.
- Loss of collagen affects bones as well. Collagen loss causes reduced bone mineral density and brittle bones.
- Exposure to the sun is one of the biggest contributors to damaged skin collagen. (see the BioSil® clinical trials on sun-damaged skin)
- Smoking, stress and poor nutrition all contribute to loss of collagen and elastin.
- Skin can lose up to 80% of its thickness due to loss of collagen and elastin.
- Loss of elastin impacts the proper functioning of organs and eyes.
Breakdown of Skin Density by Age
Can I Regain My Collagen?
In a double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial, compared to the placebo women, the women who took BioSil reduced fine lines and wrinkles by 30% and increased skin elasticity 89% in just 20 weeks.+
Who Were These Women ?
The women who participated in the BioSil clinical trial were in their 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s who all showed marked signs of sun damaged skin (the most difficult type of skin to improve).
See the Science at Work for You