It seems like there’s always a new buzzy ingredient on the market and some of the newest ones getting a lot of attention are CBD and THC — in other words, topical cannabis. No, there’s absolutely no chance of you getting high on this type of delivery system, but there are several skin-friendly benefits, which is why we’re seeing it in so many products on the market lately. Here’s what you need to know about trying this in-the-moment trend — though we have a feeling it’s going to stick around for a while.
1. The skin absorbs the ingredients, but they do not enter the bloodstream — hence the reason why you don’t get high.
2. Studies suggest that both CBD and THC have powerful antioxidant properties, so they are used in anti-aging products that are formulated to neutralize free radicals and minimize fine lines and wrinkles.
3. Topicals aren’t just for your face. Ointments are also used to help treat headaches, achy joints, a sore back, etc.
4. As with any skin/body care product, you’re going to want to make sure you apply CBD and THC products to clean skin so that it absorbs efficiently.
5. Both ingredients calm inflammation and can speed up the healing process, so they are beneficial to those suffering from hormone-related skin fluctuations, acne flare ups, and rashes linked with skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis.
6. Two is better than one. Each individual cannabinoid in a marijuana plant has its own unique benefits, but note that when they are combined, you’ll get an even stronger result. A duo such as CBD and THC work synergistically to heal, repair, and protect.
7. With that being said, cannabinoids can treat several skin symptoms (from acne to eczema) simultaneously.
8. Do your research. Look for products that are purely extracted to ensure you’re actually getting an effective formula — not just something based on marketing hype.