From fluctuating temperatures, low humidity, and indoor heat, to overly-drying lipsticks, it can be difficult to keep your pucker in top form. When lip balm alone just isn’t cutting it, give yourself this easy DIY lip facial.
1. Mix 1 teaspoon each of brown sugar and almond or jojoba oil. Apply scrub with a finger in a circular motion for approximately 30 seconds. Remove with a warm cloth.
2. Combine 1 teaspoon of yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon of honey. Leave on for 5 to 10 minutes. Wipe off with a cloth.
3. Seal in moisture with a layer of a heavy lip treatment: Dollop of shea butter, 2-3 drops of almond or jojoba oil, 3-5 drops tea tree essential oil, 2 drops of vitamin E. Mix and store in a one-ounce tin.
Additional Hydration Tips:
- Sleep with a humidifier.
- Avoid lip balms that contain cinnamon, mint, or menthol as the cool soothing sensation is actually making your lips drier.
- Stay clear of lip plumpers and matte lipstick. Overuse can lead to contact dermatitis and/or perpetually chapped lips. Fragrance- and dye-free lip oils, on the other hand, are a fantastic option.
- Never bite or peel off dead skin — this will only lead to infection and increased sensitivity.
- Avoiding licking your lips as the enzymes in your saliva can can cause sensitivity since they are meant to dissolve food.